The ubiquitous number 1089
1 Description of the Project
A few days ago a magical effect based on some mathematical idea was performed in class. The student is asked the following:
- Describe the magic effect.
- Find out what the mathematical idea behind the magic effect is. In particular, describe when it does work and when it does not.
- Provide a mathematical proof that your idea works.
- Can this effect be done for two-digit numbers? What about four-digit numbers? Justify your answers.
- Write a two-page report answering all the previous questions.
2 Written Paper
A paper describing the following points must be handed over.
- Description of the magic effect.
- Proof of your mathematical idea.
- Generalizations to two- and four-digit numbers.
- The paper has to be written in correct Spanish or English; it also has to possess clarity of thought. Show me what you know; do not force to search for it through a poorly written paper.
This projects counts 0.15 of your final grade.
4 Questions and Office Hours
I am willing to answer your questions during my office hours.