A FIRST ACQUAINTANCE
In this course writing mathematical proofs is a goal --one of the most important ones, I would add-- Many students have trouble writing proofs, even students in advanced levels. Those difficulties are due to a mixture of reasons:
- Poor understanding of logic, in particular, of what an argument is.
- Inefficient study methods, where the student does not relate the different pieces of knowledge acquired.
- Unaccountable fear of mathematical symbols, which is again originated in a feeble understanding between a symbol and its meaning.
- Unawareness of the importance of precision in language.
- The profoundly erroneous yet widespread believe that mathematics do not require creativity.
These little notes are intended to help students to be able to write good mathematical proofs.
To read the rest of the file click HERE.